Saturday, August 6, 2011

Oneyda

I want to introduce you to Oneyda Gomez. She is our newest artist who is making jewelry in the shop.
She came into the shop about a month ago 'ooohhhing and ahhhing' about the jewelry and said (only in spanish) that she knows how to make jewelry and asked if she could work in the store. 
At first I admit I was tempted to say no we don't need anymore jewelry makers (which is true) 
but when I heard her story my 'mom heart' kicked into gear
and I knew we needed to do something to help her.

She has moved to the island from Tegucigalpa and is staying with friends.
She goes to school in the evenings and is without work (like many many other here)
She moved here on her own.  No family here.
She is not in contact with either her mom or her dad.  I don't know why.
She had been living with her brother and sister
and decided to come to Roatan to go to school and find work.

She is only 15 years old.
I can't even imagine what it must be like.
she is very personable and friendly and seems happy.
even though she is only here for a month it seems that many people on the street know her
and like her.


Last week the TV station came and wanted to do a story about the girls we are helping. 
Although Oneyda was nervous she did a good job.
If you look at the picture you will see a sign that says PRAY
That is what I am asking you to do:
please pray for her.

We are thankful for Him bringing her into our world.
She is faithful in coming to the shop weekly and working hard
and it is paying off for her.   On Wednesday she cleared over 60.00
in one day which is a good day's wage here on the island.

I wish my Spanish was better so I could talk to her more but I am 
trusting that He will continue to take care of her, help her to make good choices
here, and that she will develop into the beautiful young woman He created her to be


on a personal note, we had a group  called Roatan Alive! come to the island from Canada and the States
to bless the island.  
They ministered to over 1,400 young people here.  We were busy helping out with that
  Isn't that awesome?!

 

if you are wondering what we do in our spare time...
we go to west bay and enjoy the best snorkeling ever!

ahhhh!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment